|Location||Santa Fe Springs, CA - LA County|
|Shifts hiring||Full-time, Night Shift, Weekends|
Falck USA is a global emergency medical services provider originating from Denmark that services 9 states in the US including: Alabama, California, Washington, Oregon, Florida, Maryland, Colorado, and Georgia. Falck has been operating in the US since 2010 and is the second largest private provider of emergency medical services in the country today. Our BLS and ALS services impact not only the lives of our patients, but their families and communities.
Care Ambulance Service was founded in 1969 and has grown from a small, one ambulance community-based service, to the largest provider of quality ambulance services in Southern California.
Care Ambulance is a part of Falck Global, the largest privately-owned ambulance service provider in the world.
Why work for Falck USA:
If you are looking for an opportunity to develop your skills, grow and develop your career, and make an impact within your community, we are the right fit for you! Submit your application today using the link below for further consideration.
The primary job responsibilities of the Dispatcher are to receive telephone calls requesting medical assistance and/or transportation from residences, public service agencies and/or medical facilities. He/she shall dispatch medical unit(s) to the scene in response for assistance; operate radio communication equipment to monitor field operations of EMS units and personnel, and perform other related tasks and duties as assigned by appropriate authority. They also handle all incoming calls (receives and prioritizes) in a swift and proper manner through the use of Communications Center systems. Dispatch the appropriate vehicles/personnel as appropriate. In addition, a dispatcher will make phone calls to update, add to, inform and facilitate Falck USA customers.
The Dispatcher may be assigned one of more duties. These duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receive and prioritizes all incoming telephone calls. Demonstrates the ability to effectively channel emergency and non-emergency calls to appropriate personnel.
- Efficiently dispatch vehicles to emergency and non-emergency calls in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to make accurate moment to moment decision making in regard to the dispatch of emergency and non-emergency vehicles.
- Effectively triages all in coming requests for service according to the CBD (Criteria Based Dispatch) for individual counties. Training will be provided for employees.
- Obtains required information from party requesting medical transport (as set forth by communications manager).
- Maintains professional telecommunication contact with field units and other agencies comprising emergency service network to communicate activities of personnel, enlist services of other protective agencies, or provide alternative directions to on scene personnel; demonstrates ability to effectively use paging system, Nextel’s, cell phones and land lines, and all portable or mounted radios; troubleshoots problems mechanical / equipment problems and contacts lead dispatcher, communication supervisor, and communication manager as appropriate.
- Participate in training programs as required. Completes Level I training within timeline set by communications manager. After competency is determined as a Level I dispatcher, completes Level II training (necessary to function as a dispatcher or relief person when called upon).
- Prepare and complete reports stating progress, problems and statistics for review by appropriate managers and supervisors.
- Perform basic data entry; demonstrate ability to learn new computer programs and perform some advanced data entry.
The Dispatcher may be assigned one of more additional duties. These duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attends all communication meetings.
- Assist with providing information for investigations of incidents as required.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned by Communications Supervisor or Communications Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual in this position must possess the following qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals, teams, managers, supervisors, and external customers. Excellent ability to communicate and work cohesively across Department lines.
- Must have computer competency including proficiency with Microsoft Suite, and understanding of database programs.
- Typing 40 wpm (minimum).
- Must have the ability to consistently deliver outstanding customer service to all internal and external customers.
- Highly dependable and ability to meet internal deadlines consistently.
- Strong organization skills and attentiveness to detail.
- Flexible and adaptable, willing and able to adjust to rapidly changing priorities.
- Must have the ability to work independently as well as in groups. Ability to maintain a professional manner and appearance at all times.
- One to two years of EMS and/or dispatch related experience and/or training preferred.
- Knowledge of CAD system and range of software recommended.
- Knowledge of xx Metro area and the outlining counties (xx, xx & xx) preferred.
- EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatcher) obtained within specified time period determined by Communications Manager.
- Must have the ability to distinguish color differences as the CAD computer uses multiple colors to distinguish the status of ambulances.
- Have no non-correctable deficiency in normal vision.
- Be able to function in a high stress environment where the work goes from minimal to overload within moments.
- Have no hearing impairment that would interfere with using a normal telephone and/or working a radio channel simultaneously.
- Must have a mature, courteous, and decisive nature in order to provide maximum customer service under stressful conditions.
The individual in this position must possess the following education requirements:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- EMD Certification preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/ or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Occasionally:Must have the ability to lift, carry and balance up to 15 pounds.
Frequently:Good manual dexterity, typing wpm 40, with the ability to perform all tasks related to the position of Dispatcher.
Constantly:Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time, possess hand-eye-foot coordination and color recognition.
The mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Occasionally:Memorization, critical judgment, problem solving.
Frequently:Simple and complex mathematic skills, reasoning, ability to read, interpret and correspond in various written communication formats.
Constantly:Logic, ethical judgment and reasoning, active listening skills, decision making, ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal formats.
The individual in this position must be familiar with using the following equipment to perform the essential functions of this job.
Occasionally:Fax machine, copy machine, hole-punch, calculator, laminator.
Frequently Printer, telephone, clock.
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Travel approximately 0% of time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
The statements in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. This document in no way constitutes a contract of employment. Falck USA reserves the right to modify job descriptions, policies or any other procedural documents at any time, for any reason without prior notice.
Click here to review the complete job description